SOULTZ SOUS FORETS
Origin of the name of Old High German "sulza" which means salt water
In the thirteenth century, the town form the administrative center of the lordship of Fleckenstein and Puller of Hohenburg, established around the castle of Fleckenstein, built at the southern entrance (1274), but disappeared in the seventeenth century, during the war of succession Holland.
In 1346 the town was built to the level of "city" and surrounded by a fortified wall on the authorization of Emperor Louis of Bavaria. This privilege was confirmed by his successor Charles de Luxembourg in 1348 which also allow four Jewish families to settle there. Soultz owes its reputation to the saline, salt water wells located in the ditches of the old castle. Its operation dates back to the sixteenth century, but was especially intensive in the Baron de Bode and during the Revolution. She disappeared in 1842.
More recently, the city of Soultz-sous-Forêts, like all of Alsace, has suffered from the bombing during World War II
The interesting sites and monuments
Habitat gallo romain Gallo Roman Habitat
. The archaeological excavations have made it possible to locate a Gallo-Roman settlements to the east of the existing urban area. You can see these relics to Brett, in the locality of Mauerfeld.
The Catholic church Saint-Pierre, rue des Barons de Fleckenstein, is the location of the court of honor of the ancient castle Geiger. It was dedicated on May 31, 1910. It is neo-Roman and is found at the entrance, two clams pink sandstone dating from the eighteenth century. The medallions representing people of the Old Testament, as well as saints adorn the top of the nave.
The Protestant church, built in the late fifteenth century, was assigned to the new worship at the introduction of the reform by the Barons of Fleckenstein to 1543.
The tower is perhaps the old belfry of the city and dates back to the fifteenth century.
In the southern wall of the church, are encased in September burial slabs that covered the sarcophagi of Fleckenstein fourteenth and the sixteenth century, but who were displaced and hammered in 1830. The oldest of them concerns Gertrude of Ettendorf, wife of Wolfram of Fleckenstein died in 1302. All others are from the sixteenth century.
The old synagogue is neo novel asiatian. Elle est située rue de la bergerie. It is located rue de la sheepfold. The neighborhood that surrounds it, closed with a series of small half-timbered houses, was once inhabited by Jewish families. The Jewish community has left the rural world after World War II to settle in the city.
The House Muntz 48 rue du Docteur Deutsch is the work of the great German architect Frederic Weinbreuner. It was built under the First Empire by an ancient family of notables in Soultz installed as soon 1776: Family Muntz. The most famous is Philippe Frederick Muntz notary and deputy mayor who has obtained passage of the railway in Soultz in 1855.
The current Protestant rectory was built by the Hanau in 1726. Situé rue des Barons de Fleckenstein, Located rue des Barons de Fleckenstein, it bears their armoirie on the upper door of the cellar and on the gate.
The old palace Geiger, street from the school, is the current Catholic rectory.
Pouillot, mayor of Soultz between 1848 and 1868, and then to Mr. Binder between 1883 and 1901. Also known as "Bindersche Schloss, it is transferred to the Catholic parish, in 1902.
It may be useful to recall that the two wings on the terrace were destroyed during the Second World War and at the rear of the castle there existed not so long ago a wide avenue of lime trees, enclosing a large garden.